Friday, November 7, 2014

How to Thrift Better



I get asked all the time how do I find such great stuff at thrift shops? Or on eBay?  So I thought I would share the thrifting tips that I swear by.  And believe me when I say I've been extremely successful.  The photo above is 3 tops I thrifted last weekend by sticking to these rules below.

1- Have a plan. 

This is by far the most important thing about thrifting.  If I go to a store with no plan I usually don't find anything.  I now have a list of my wardrobe wants/wishes and when I go thrifting I try to stick to my list.  So for instance if I really wanted a great blazer- why waste my time looking everywhere when I can just go in, look at just the blazers and see if I find anything.  My list is usually pretty long on my clothes wish list so I will look in several spots in the store to see if I can find anything that meets my desires.

2- Don't Waste Time

Having two little boys it's hard to be in the thrift store for a long time without one of them getting a little restless so by having a plan it helps for me to stick with it and move quickly so I don't take too long in the store.  Don't waste your time looking at other racks just "because".  Be efficient by sticking to your plan.

3- Know what you like

I know for me I have certain colors/prints that stand out to me so I can easily glance down racks and see if anything "pops" out at me.  I love neon, leopard, floral, stripes, plaid, neutral colors, and aztec print to name a few so when I shop I quickly look to see if any of those jumps out at me.  If it does I pull it out and see if its my size, style I want, etc.

Sticking with my prints- stripes, polka dot, color blocked


4- Don't be afraid to go home empty handed

Sometimes I go to the thrift shop with these grand ideas that I'm going to find everything I need/want in that one trip.  And then I leave disappointed.  It's always better to be prepared to not find anything that way when you do find something is extra exciting!

5- Try stuff on

Don't be afraid to try things on.  I've found especially in thrifted clothes that have been washed, etc. that my size isn't always "my" size.  I've been surprised many times to find an XL sweater fits with the oversized look that I am going for.  So even though it takes a bit more time- always try things on.

Those are my top thrifting tips.  I hope these will help you to be successful with your own thrift shopping.

What are your favorite ways to thrift shop??

Loves,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment